Saturday 13 June 2020

Sew, no sew.

Another week draws to a close.

I've found it almost impossible to do anything creative during the lockdown period, which I know is silly.  I keep telling myself I ought to be making good use of the time,  but I just haven't felt the urge.  I made myself clear the cutting table, as the clutter there is often a blockage to my creativity.    It helped, but didn't give me the surge I had been expecting.  

Out of necessity, I made myself make myself a new maxi skirt.  The weather had been so hot, I had to start wearing skirts, and I managed to ruin two of mine on exposed wires on the chicken run. 

It's made from a heavy scuba with a flowery pattern, so I didn't really expect it to drape very well, nor to be particularly pretty.

I absolutely love it.

I decided to make another one, but I then wondered about trying to make a shirred top/dress.  I ordered shirring elastic,   my friend Judith pointed me at a video which seemed easy enough.  Then I decided to makea tank top from a pattern I'd made previously.   The fabric choice wasn't great (and I've put on a bit of weight), but it was useable.  Until I wrecked it trying to do some unpicking.   I binned it.

Then I thought I ought to make some masks,  and then the weather changed before the elastic arrived, and I ended up not trying the shirring after all. 

I also completely failed to make more lemon and lime ice cream,  and I don't really understand why that was so difficult.  I have lemons and limes, I bought cream,  it's one of the easiest ever ice cream recipes (no custard involved).  I just....couldn't...get....round...to...it.

I did make myself make some lemon curd, to use some of the eggs.    I had planned to make lemon curd, lime curd and lemon and lime curd (I've got a lot of lemons and limes, and a lot of eggs).   In some respects, it's better that I didn't - I won't be able to eat it all before it goes off,

I did make myself do something a bit more creative in the kitchen.  I used the new chamber vacuum sealer to marinade some lamb steaks,  and I made 2 kg (potato weight) of Aioli Mashed potato.   Then yesterday I made some bolognese for today (I've been fancying lasagne for 2 weeks now),  and I marinaded some pork in a Belazu Shawarma paste which I'd bought on impulse.  I used Maria Feisty Tapas' pressure cooker method for Chicken Baharat,  and the result was good.  Good enough to be on our "make again" list.

I served it with some home made Rosti, made from the last 500g of potatoes plus a sweet potato.  I pressure cooked the whole potatoes for 1 minute to soften them slightly, then grated them with a coarse grater.  I added salt and pepper for each potato that I grated.     I tried frying in one big thing, but the mid sized pan I used was rubbish and it caught.     I decanted everything to the air fryer, using the recently purchased additional insert... and it worked really well.  So well that I am going to use it as my preferred method from now on.

I've also been using the chamber vacuum to do some instant pickling.  I love lightly pickled cucumber.    I had a bottle of Sarson's 15 minute pickling vinegar,  and OMG it's lovely!    I'm struggling to find it in any of the supermarkets that deliver to me,  and I don't fancy going to the large Tesco in the nearby Big Town.

In other news, I  broke my fabric ban.


Apart from some antimicrobial fabric bought for face masks,  I haven't bought fabric for 6 months.   I've been tempted, many times, but I've always resisted.   Until I didn't.  

I bought a couple of pieces from Miss Cloe, and having broken the ban I gave in and bought a load of stuff from  Textile 9,  who have taken over Tilly Bee Fabrics.      I was obviously in the mood for breaking my ban, as I had also  been looking at Coalville Fabrics with serious intent.


The box from Textile 9 arrived today,  and it's full of really lovely fabric, and it might be enough to encourage me to make something.   I can definitely see fabric for some Heartlight maxi skirts,  and some for tee shirt type tops.   I might even try making some leggings again, as I need a new pair for PIlates.

The picture doesn't do it justice.   


Of course now I've broken my ban, I'm struggling to get back under control.   I might try the reward system.  If I can make myself a shirred top (or dress) then I'll buy some more fabric.

Hm. We'll see.



   

Followers