Sunday 14 July 2024

Order! Order!

My house is a mess.

I haven't done any proper housework (apart from washing,  batch cooking, and swish & swiping) since Easter.   All my time is spent either away (visiting my Mum,   or at her old smallholding trying to clear the rubbish),   or at home dealing with Mum related things.

The mess, compounded by crates of my mothers things,  stacks of my mothers documents and photos,  piled up everywhere has been really getting me down.

DH went away to visit his brother in law, and I decided that I was going to spend the weekend trying to get sorted out.

It's been tough.

Yesterday, I cleared the living room and dining room.   Most furniture was moved, the floor was washed multiple times.    Crates were emptied and re-sorted.  Stuff was moved.  

The stuff that I'm taking back to Mums (like the towels, which I had to bring home to wash as we have no water there at the moment), is in a stack in the summerhouse.  A box of china, which is being donated to a cafe local to where she used to live, is there too.    The rest of the china has been passed on to my brother to go to a local chap who is going to be doing afternoon teas for senior citizens.

The stuff that is being sold (both my Mum's and mine too now) is now organised on a large table in the summer house.  The packing boxes and packing materials are - mostly - all out there as well, mostly stored underneath the table. 

 The charity shop stuff continues to be stored in the boot of my car, and I really really need to empty it.   I did try on Thursday, but I couldn't park near my chosen charity shop and I gave up.

The living room looks OK.  It's still got some crates in,   but most of those will be gone (to the summerhouse) tonight.  The remaining 2 crates need to continue to live in the house for now.

Today's focus was the kitchen, and it's taken me 6 hours so far.    It's a grade 2 clean.  Everything off the worktops, the worktops are scrubbed, the stuff is cleaned, everything put back.    Things like the cutlery drawer are emptied and cleaned.  The hob plates and cooker hood filters are dishwashered.     It's not a cupboard-emptying clean, I don't have the stamina for that.

I'm only about half way round.  

There was so much stuff (mainly my Mums) under the table.   It's been dealt with now, each box as I pull it out. 

The windows are clean. The windowsill is sparkling.  The sinks are shiny.    The floor has been vacuumed (by Raymondo) and washed (by me) multiple times.

I'd planned to do our bedroom today as well, but I can't see me keeping this up.

I just need to get it finished.

I'm going to feel so much lighter when I can walk in to a clean, fresh, tidy home.

I just need to find one to visit.


Followers