Friday 23 December 2022

I see.

I managed to stop the descent into irreversible grumpiness the other day.    

The fake tree is up.  It's too big and, despite costing a fortune, looks like a fake tree -   but it looks pretty  when the pre-installed  lights are on.  The lights default to a really annoying setting (why don't they just default to 'on') and have to be press-press-press-press-press-pressed to get to the plain "on" setting. 
 
I knew I'd miss the smell of a real tree, and  I bought two variety of Scentscicles to hang. I'd read a review shiehc said that the Christas Tree scent weasn;tas Chrostamas treelike as the Winter one,  so I bought both. I've tried both, and and they both assaulted my senses without really smelling like a real tree.   I'm now using an open tin of a lovely St Eval candle to provide the missing scent.    

The tree was up, lights on, for a couple of days before we decorated.  I waited till Miss Teen came, but shen she was here she wasn't too bothered about tree decorating.     Time marches on.

I attempted to get a plain wreath earlier in the week, but failed.  I tried again a couple of days ago, and failed again.  First time I haven't done my own wreath in 17 or so years, and the first time the door hasn't had a wreath in even longer.   I might use one of the inside wreaths, just so it doesn't look so bare.

The boxes of house decorations are down from the loft, and we've opened and strung up the cards.  

The Christmas shopping delivery came, and has been packed away.  I made Nigella's Christmas Puddini Truffles, and I have some to my friend Y, and some to my cousin.   I made extra Christmas Pudding just for this.  

My normal reading vision went doolally on Sunday.  My distance vision is fine, I can see perfectly when driving or reading road signs.  It really did go suddenly, and I knew I need to get it checked out.   I made an Optician appointment on Monday,  and the earliest available was late afternoon yesterday.   

My prescription hasn't changed, which surprised me more than I expected.   The eye (and the blood supply)  looks healthy;  I paid extra to have a 3D image of the eye so they could do a thorough check.   Apparently it's my eye muscles that are not working so well.   First my shoulders, then my triceps, and now my eyes!  I was a bit fed up.

 The optician made perfectly sensible suggestions about the crossword.  Move it directly in front of me.  Have a bright light directly above.  This would be fine if it was just me doing the crossword, but it isn't.    Sharing the crossword in the space between us at breakfast time has been something we've done every day since forever, and I don't want to change it.

She suggested having a pair of single vision glasses for reading,  so I've sent an old pair off to be re-lensed today,   What with the strikes and Christmas,  they won't arrive at the glasses place until Wednesday or Thursday next week, so it'll be a while before I get them back.  In the meantime, I feel like Sybill Trelawney and I'm just hoping the single vision glasses really do help.



 


Followers