Thursday 27 August 2020

White Out

Like most people, I guess,  I haven't been to the hairdresser since before lockdown.  My hair was due a colour the week lockdown started,  so its been an interesting 5 months.  

My regrowth has been grey for years. It was always a dirty yellow grey, as if I was a smoker.   As lockdown continued,  my regrowth turned out to be bright white.   I didn't mind it. 

I'm fortunate to have very curly hair,  and a lot of the white was disguised by the curls.  The bits that could be seen made me look like Cruella de Ville. 

The regrowth  grew longer, as did my hair.  My fringe covered the whole of my face,  and i tied it back in various ways depending on how cooperative my curly locks were being.

I didn't mind the white.  The hair was soft and curly,   I'm now at an age where grey hair isn't unusual.   As lockdown  extended,  I toyed with the idea of letting it all go white.  After all,  from a growing colour out point if view,   this was the ideal time!

Sometimes I'd turn the hair so I could see what I'd look like with all white hair.   If I pulled my hair back tightly, so that it was straightened,  it was completely white around my face   

 It was definitely ageing, but it wasn't horrendous.

One day I had to tie my fringe back a bit more securely.   I can't remember why, now.   DH looked up, did an involuntary double take and,  staring at my locks,exclaimed 'Oh my god you're so grey'.

So that was the end of me trying with keeping it.

My hairdresser expunged it yesterday.

I miss it. A bit. 


Followers