Sunday 23 August 2020

Testing Times

The recent heat made me very slothful and sluggish, and I suffered a severe bout of CBA (can't be @rsed).  Even thinking and planning was too much effort.  (It's not really that I CBA, it's not that flippant, that's just what I call it). Everything was an effort.

The CBA meant I was sitting still for long periods (mostly trying to do puzzles,  or read, or other things).

I started to have a "pulled muscle" feeling, deep inside my leg - but not in the "usual" place.  I compared the painful leg with the other leg, and could see no difference.    On the second day, I was a bit more concerned.  On the third day,  I got my tape measure out and found a  measurable difference at the knee.   I decded to go to A&E to get it checked out. Just in case.

Long story short.  No DVT, but another unrelated issue confirmed as worsening  and tablets prescribed.

The doctor was very kind, and didn't do or say anything to make me feel that I had wasted her time,  but I did feel a bit silly. 

The "pulled muscle" feeling didn't go away,  and the reality is if I hadn't gone to hospital that day, I would have gone the next, or the next, so I felt a bit less like a time waster.

5 days after my afternoon spent in A&E,  I had a sort of sore throat and an occasional cough.  My throat got worse the next day.   On the 3rd day, worried that I had picked up something in A&E, I decided I'd better go and have a COVID test.  The driver for this is that my parents, who live a loooong way away and have been shielding,  were coming to stay for a couple of days.   We haven't see them since Christmas,  and we had already  moved our pencilled-in July weekend back to August to be on the safe side.

I wasn't showing the classic symptoms but I was unwell, and I thought it best to get tested just in case.    We are fortunate to have a drive in testing centre in a nearby town.  I made an appointment online (although they happily accept people who just turn up) and it was all done quickly, easily and  well.   

The results arrived by text and email the next day (the day before my parents were due), and I was clear.  That was a relief,  although I still felt unwell.

The following day,  my parents got up super early to drive here..... and found their conservatory had flooded in the night.    The visit has had to be rearranged.  

My energy levels have improved a bit, even if I'm not necessarily able to do everything.   Energy levels for me are a combination of the mental drive to do something, and the physical ability to do it.  

To measure the extreme low end, I imagine that it's early in the monring, and I am in bed asleep.  I wake up and hear a fox in the garden.     In "normal" times, I would be up and out there before I'd even woken up properly, the mental drive would overcome any physical restriction.
When my energy reserves are low, a "0" score would be that  I wouldn't be able to get up and stop it  (I'd be mentally and physically unable to get up);   "1" would be, I'd try to get up but would struggle physically and I might not be able to do it, or I might be too slow (I'd want to get up, butit would be a physical push to do so).    

On the day I went to hospital, I was 2/10 on my personal scale.  Today,   I'm probably at 4/10.  My brain and emotional processes are working reasonably well,  I'm physically under the weather.  I'm guessing the new medication is kicking in and helping things.

 




 


Followers