Tuesday 14 June 2022

Tempting Fate

The hot weather (I assume) has resulted in a crowd of very grumpy hens. 

They have a lovely sheltered run extension - woodchip on the floor, shaded by trees - but they stay out in the garden getting hot.

I put a washing up bowl (kept for the purpose) out with a bit of water in the bottom and a load of frozen peas.  The peas defrost quickly, the girls bob for them and it ensures they take on a bit of water in this heat.

Today a fight broke out, with two girls (Bot and one other, not sure who) attacking Fleur.  Fleur is a middle aged cuckoo maran,  and she's always been "not quite right".    She tried fighting back,  I broke them up.   As soon as my back was tutned, it started again, and two other girls were involved, one possibly trying to fend off Bot who really had it in for Fleur.

The third time, a few seconds later, I saw that Fleur's comb was bleeding. Fleur also looked stressed, her comb was a bit dark.    I took her out, as blood can be a bit of a trigger for hens.     A cut on a hens comb is like you or I cutting our earlobes.  A lot of blood from a little cut,  and takes ages to heal.    I tried putting powder on it, but it wouldn't staunch it,  and she looked like she was going to die from the stress of me administreing to her. 

I gave her a hard boiled egg from the fridge, and she perked up a bit.  She ate it, and then Iet her wander round, and then rest under the shade of the medlar tree.

About half an hour later, when it looked like it had stopped, I had a go at bathing her comb to get the blood off, and I sprayed her with "purple spray".  It acts as an antiseptic,  but it also covers the sight of red blood.   I let her go back in with the others, and a few seconds later it was bleeding again.

This time I moved her to the shaded run, and blocked access to keep the others away.   Normally I'd separate out the bully ,   but with all the blood it was possible that any of them might turn on her.   Also, I don't know what went on before the trouble started. 

She's going to have to stay there til it's dark and the others have gone to bed.  She's got water and some greens, and some sunflower seeds, so I hope she's OK.

She's not my favourite girl - she's been a bit of a bully herself in the past.  Nothing serious,  a hen bully in the normal way of hens sometimes being bullies.    I really don't like it, even though I know its 'natural behaviour'.    

 I care about her, and I don't want to lose her. 


Followers