Sunday 20 June 2021

Procrastination continues

I've had my lovely overlocker downstairsin the kitchen for...so long now,I can't count.  It made making knickers for DH much more likely to happen, I was much more inclined to do it when I could cut and sew immediately.wthout having to run upstairs.  It worked - and he's got quite a few pairs now.  

I left it there because I planned to go on and make a maxi skirt, or another pair of flared joggers, or some plain tops to complement the maxis I made previously. But it hasn't happened.  Even rousing myself to clean the kitchen and  clear the table did not result in me getting the enthusiasm to make something.

Every day (it seems) i think "right, I'll definitely do it tomorrow";  tomorrow comes, tomorrow goes, and no sewing has happened in between.

I've got lots of reasons, excuses perhaps,  like the incredible heat making doing anything a chore,  or the housework gets in the way (I'm not sure when and how I let that happen), or my heart, or...whatever,  but the truth is, if I wanted to do it, I'd do it.

I considered selling my embroidery machine, which hasn't been used since.... since.... I'm not quite sure actually.   I didn't because I might regret it.

I'm so lacking in sewing motivation that I felt a mild surge of achievement when I finally got round to putting a kam snap and ribbon onto one of my oven gauntlets.  There had been one there befoere, attached to the inner label.  The inner label fell off several months ago, and the gauntlet has been living separately from its mate ever since. It kept being tossed onto one or other work surface, and being mislaid and overlooked.  I kept meaning to take it upstairs and fix it, and I knew that in the time it took me to make a mental note that it needed doing, I could have done it.   I did it in the end, after thinking about selling my embroidery machine.

So, why am I telling you?

Sometimes, writing something down helps clarify things for me. Sometimes, it strengthens my resolve.  Sometimes, it spurs me into action.

It hasn't this time.

But writing this has helped me realise why I'm trying to keep slightly more on top of the housework:  You never know what's going to happen.  You never know when someone is going to have to go into your house and look for stuff for you, or look after things unexpectedly.  You never know whether today could be the day you go out and don't come back because you've been rushed to hospital.

It started after my uncle had a heart attack when out on his bike. That morning, he left the house expecting to be back for lunch.   He'd pinned up some drawing paper on his easel.  He had his bills out ready to pay.  He'd left the washing up to do later.  he had his post partially opened. 

He went out one day, and it was 8 weeks before he came back.

You just never know.



Followers