Hazel, the hen we rehomed, has been relentlessly bullying the two mophead Arauacana.
Its unnecessary. They capitulated the day she was introduced, and have not tried to move her down the pecking order. They keep out of her way.
And she seeks them out to bully them, ripping feathers out of their backs. It's most unnecessary.
One of the mopheads, Olivia, became unwell. She was being bullied even more mercilessly by Hazel, and she was keeping herself apart from the flock. I could smell something on her breath, and I could hear a faint rasp. I couldn't see any obvious signs of "cheese" in her throat or nostrils,
I started her on Harkers, , which is a treatment for Canker. Every day I put on chicken-nursing apron, disposable gloves, and go and catch her and take her to the catio where I could sit and feed her. I added Critical Care powder to some wet food which was put in a paper muffin case, and used a disposable straw as a spoon. I also added Critical Care to some water, mixed in eiter a jam jar or the cut-off-bottom of a milk cartonm, and droppered it in to her beak, Each session was finished with NutriDrops, in a bottle now labelled with her name so it wouldn't be use for anyone else.
When we were done, I'd put her back in the Run, far away from Hazel. All the paraphernalia was disposed of each day, fresh paraphernalia the next day, and the apron was laundered each night.
She improved a little after a couple of days, and I got some undyed maggots to feed her (it was too hot to get mealworms delivered) to encourage her to eat.
At the end of the course of Harkers, the smell had gone, and she had definitely improved. She was brighter, happier, and was eating normal food. I continued with the rest of the regime for a bit longer, adding in yoghurt to her diet. She started to crouch when I went to get her, something she rarely did befoore she was ill.
She's still bullied by Hazel, but she's now back to being part of the flock.
Sometimes she crouches for me, and I'll bring her back to the house and give her a treat (some sunflower seeds, or a bit of cucumber or tomato).
I'm really surprised at how well she is doing.