Wednesday 22 April 2020

Momentum

The ice cream maker has been on the worktop since whenever it was I made toothpste ice cream for DH.   I haven't put it away because I still have cream in the fridge, and I wanted to make at least one more batch of ice cream.

This morning, I decided on the way in from sorting the Girls out, I would do it.    I'd already decided thaat my next batch would be Cardamom and Honey,   so I spent a surprisingly long time crushing and shelling cardamoms.      I didn't have single cream, so I used double cream with 25% of the volume made up with milk.  That might be why I had trouble getting the custard to thicken.

While I was waiting for the cardamom seeds to infuse into the hot cream.  I decided ot make lemn and lime ice cream tomorrow, and I made up the lemon and lime syrup today.      The fridge now has cold sort-of-custard, waiting for whipped double cream to be added and for it to be churned into ice cream;  a pint jar of what looks like a urine specimen for tomorrow's lemon and lime ice cream, and a bowl of egg whites.  Usually the egg whites sit in the fridge, with all good intentions for being turned into something (apart from meringue, which gives me a migraine), until I throw them out.  I thought I might make a Disoronno Sour later, and actually use one of them.

The fridge also has half a white cabbage and half a red cabbage (which were going to be turned into coleslaw, but I decided to give some to the Girls yesterday to keep them occupied),  some manky carrots,  some cooking apples (from a previous intention to make red cabbage, which was scuppered by me not having an red cabbage),  a big bag of mushrooms (which are meant ot be made into mushroom soup,  which I fully intend to do in the next couple of days),  some new potatoes,  and lots of chicken veg.

I am going to get on and use them.  I am.   I really am.


Followers